This month our psychologists are handing these resource packs out to the parents of each child on the autism spectrum to pass on to their school.
The packs contain the following:
- Easy to read information on What is Autism? and Recognising Autism. Teachers have varying experiences and backgrounds so we start at the basics with comprehensive info of what autism is and how it may present in the classroom.
- A little information on Underlying causes of behaviour, Bullying, Breaks and Lunchtime, and Transitions.
- An anger scale and a sensory profiling template for teachers to copy and to use for each child.
- Strategies to overcoming difficulties a teacher has communicating with a child or young person on the autism spectrum at school.
- Tip sheets on Why and How to use visuals, Girls with an ASD, Using sensory toys, and Motivators.
- A comprehensive list of resources for staff, peers and children on the autism spectrum that want to learn more.
- As burn out is extremely prevalent in the teaching industry we include information on how to prevent and avoid anxiety, stress and burn out. Teachers need to care for themselves in order to care for our children!