Autism Spectrum Disorder
- 2 hour appointment for parent (DIAG - Diagnostic Interview)
- 1-2 hour appointment for child (ADOS - Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule)
- 50 min feedback appointment for parent - includes diagnostic report (FB - Feedback) - approx 3-4 weeks after ADOS appointment
Please note: Additional appointments may be required in complex cases and additional fees will apply in these cases. This will be discussed with you if applicable.
REFERRALS & REBATES
- A paediatrician's referral is required.
- Children aged under 13 who have been referred for ASD assessment by a paediatrician or child psychiatrist can claim a rebate from Medicare of $87.45 for the ADOS and DIAG sessions. (The FB sessions may be claimable on Private Health Insurance if you have appropriate coverage using item number 100)
- If your child is over 13 years of age Medicare will not pay any rebate and so the full fee for the assessment applies (claimable by Private Health Insurance if appropriate coverage is in place)
ADDITIONAL PSYCHOLOGY ASSESSMENT
- While we endeavour to complete the assessment within the allocated time of 4 hours, in complex cases this is not always possible. It is important to be confident in our diagnostic decision so extra sessions and fees may be involved. If applicable, this will be discussed soon after your appointment.
- If you have also been referred for a language assessment then a copy of this report is required prior to your psychology appointment. Therefore, your psychology assessment should be booked for a date AFTER the speech assessment has been completed and you have the report.
ON THE DAY
- The ADOS Assessment may or may not be conducted with the parent in the room, depending on which ADOS Module needs to be undertaken. Module 1, Module 2 and the Toddler Module requires a parent/carer in the room (which is for most children under the age of around 4 or 5).
- Bring a small snack
- Advise us in advance if you do not have a carer to look after your child during the parent/carer part of the assessment
- Bring any other reports that you have regarding the health and development of your child
BOOK AN ASD ASSESSMENT